20 September 2010

Testing Out My New Sewing Machine = Dress Alterations

One month ago I posted here about how I picked up a beautiful bridesmaid dress at one of my local thrift stores for only $15. It was really a steal because I late found that the dress originally retailed for $250! Although beautiful in it's original state, I had some other plans in mind for this dress!


The dress before any alterations.
For the most part this dress fit me pretty well. Which thankfully meant I didn't have to do any taking in. However, it was clearly a bridesmaid dress with it's extreme length, HUGE sash and mounds of excess fabric. So first things first, take off some length...


Then into the sewing machine it went to hem the new bottom....

Next was to get rid of the oversized sash....

One gone, one to go
I also needed to shrink the almost 4 inch waistband that looked very unbalanced after the dress lost so much length. 
Look at the size of that waist band!

Pleats basted in place

After some manipulating, pressing, manipulating again and many a pricked finger while hand stitching the pleats into place I finally finished. Paired with some pearls and these perfectly matched heels I found one week after I found the dress for only $5 at another thrift shop, this was my final product...



So, what do you think?!


3 comments:

Trish said...

I am impressed! And you are absolutely gorgeous!

VKB said...

Love the transformation. This was just like the challenge on Project Runway and those were designers. I am impressed as well. It looks great.

Unknown said...

Great Job Cathryn! I am enjoying your blog very much;)