26 October 2010

Tuesday Tutorial:

Yearning for a new denim skirt...

I feel like a great denim skirt is a staple to any closet. With a classic cut and a casual fabric they can be dressed up or dressed down with little effort!

I already own a few: a mini from Zara (which I feel is really only appropriate for hanging out in with friends in the dead of summer because its just that mini!), a dark wash pencil skirt from GAP that I LOVE but is currently a size or two too big for me (but I refuse to get rid of it because it's so classic and I know it's only in my dreams that I will stay this size forever), and I lighter wash pencil skirt with a slit in the front that I'm not so thrilled with because I'm always feeling like I'm showing off a bit too much.

I have recently been eyeing up this denim number by CHLOE priced at $109 and available HERE.
Isn't it cute?! I have been on a bit of a feminine kick lately - I'm really into the ruffled bottom. What do you think?

So in order to fulfill my yearning for this beauty, yet save myself the $109 on the price tag, I decided to take an old pair of dark wash blue jeans that I LOVED (and wore all across Europe, but are now too short) and give them new life!

First things first - cut off the legs preserving the top and pockets:

Next I cut one of the legs into two long strips and attached this to the top:
Next I took the second leg and once I figured out that it was not wide enough to create the length I needed for the skirt, I turned a different route. Instead I cut the leg into multiple squares and sewed them together to make two longer strips.


Finally I attacted what was to be the flounce on the bottom of the skirt....unfortunately I didn't have quiet enough fabric to work with to give it the same ruffle look as the Chloe skirt, but I still think it turned out pretty well.


What do you think? Would you wear this? Leave your comments below!


3 comments:

Mominator5107 said...

Yes Cathryn I would wear this if I were you! Very cute.

Craft buddy said...

I just left a long post but it got lost :( Anyway - Cat - love this! I have just discovered your blog and I've been earmarking little projects like this forever to have a craft night with a friend in London. I have a pair of grey jeans that were relegated to the bin until I saw this post...horray! (PS - this is my old discontinued blog name - it's Jessie Nixon :))

Anonymous said...

Sure I will, that's a very nice idea!!
Yun